Saturday, December 03, 2005

Q-UNIT


A quick word on mash-ups. They started out as a joke (in my opinion), mixing artists like Christina Aguliera (Genie in a Bottle) and the Strokes (Hard to Explain) creating 'A Stroke of Genius'. They continued for awhile with little to show until Danger Mouse rose from obscurity with his legitimate piece of work, the Grey Album, combining Jay-Z vocals from the Black Album and mixes of background Beatles beats from the White Album. That stuff was certifiable GOLD, JERRY! From there, the MTV suits tried to capatilze on the mash-up set with Linkin Park and Jay-Z going head-to-head on a live CD with mixed results.

Well, I think (hope) this is the last nail in the coffin. While I wish I could recommend this mash-up of 50 Cent vocals and Queen back beats, this comes off as awful and what I can only imagine was a joke for someone or a homework assignment for DJ school. I pride myself on knowing enough of both bands to appreciate their sounds but where the Grey Album paired solid beats to well-fit vocals, this is just words over a mix that is not well done. Check out this Q-Unit page to download a few samples to test and if you love the whole thing, you can download all tracks along with ALBUM ART! HOLY GAZOOKAS! Best of luck-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters