Sunday, March 26, 2006

REVIEW:EDITORS and STELLASTARR*
March 25th, 2006 @ the Agora Ballroom

I'll admit it. I went into last night's show being well aware and a huge fan of Editors and knowing little of Stellastarr*. Editors have definitely fit into my music scene so following them from the start has been easy but I have just started to dig back into what Stellastarr* had to offer, only knowing 'Lost in Time' going into the show. I had been listening to the songs for both bands on CD exclusively and hearing these bands live, you can definitely feel the energy that the Editors put into the show and the emotion that Stellastarr* brings. Hearing these bands LIVE and LOUD is the only way.

First up was Editors with Vocalist Tom Smith putting on quite the show, performing what we dubbed 'the Claw' time and again. (Make the claw, catch something with both claws, extend to audience and release - repeat as needed.) My favorite going in was 'Camera' and they did not let me down and also brougth 'Munich' everything I hoped it would be. Tom Smith also looked like he was clawing at his skin like he was on something - but hey, whatever works, the guy and the band put on a great show.



Then was Stellastarr*, opening with all the new wave reverb and feedback you could want. The songs that stuck out for me (and made me come home and download them) were "On My Own" where lead singer Shawn Christensen started singing on the floor and then moved to the crowd, shredding his emotions with the lyric "But I'm doin the best that I can...On my own." Awesome. Then, luck for co-pilot Greg, they played "My Coco" in the encore which just made his night. And I can't foget to mention bassist Amanda Tannen who stole every indie boys heart last night as well as guitarist Michael Jurin's hoamge to Robert Smith, and while we're at it, drummer Arthur Kremer had a Stellastarr* asterik taped on his nipple!



Here are the remaining concert dates so be sure to check them out if they swing nearby:

TOUR DATES
3.27.06 – New York, NY (Bowery Ballroom) – only stellastarr*
3.28.06 - Brooklyn, NY (Warsaw)
3.29.06 - Washington, DC (9:30 Club)
4.01.06 - Philadelphia, PA (Trocadero)
4.02.06 - Baltimore, MD (Sonar)
4.04.06 - Norfolk, VA (The Norva Theatre)
4.05.06 - Carrboro, NC (Cat's Cradle)
4.06.06 - Athens, GA (40 Watt Club)
4.07.06 - Orlando, FL (The Social)
4.08.06 - Miami, FL (Studio A)
4.09.06 - St. Petersburg, FL (State Theater)
4.11.06 - Nashville, TN (Exit/In)
4.12.06 - Columbus, OH (Newport Music Hall)
4.13.06 - Detroit, MI (Magic Stick)
4.14.06 - Covington, KY (The Mad Hatter)
4.15.06 - Columbia, MO (Blue Note)
4.16.06 - Chicago, IL (Metro)
4.18.06 - Minneapolis, MN (Fine Line Music Cafe)
4.19.06 - Lawrence, KS (Granada Theatre)
4.21.06 - Denver, CO (Bluebird Theatre)
4.22.06 - Salt Lake City, UT (TBD)
4.25.06 - Vancouver, BC (Richard's On Richards)
4.27.06 - Seattle, WA (Chop Suey)
4.28.06 - Portland, OR (Dante's)
4.29.06 - San Francisco, CA (Mezzanine)
4.30.06 - Indio, CA (Coachella)

BUY Stellastarr*'s most recent Harmonies for the Haunted.
BUY Editors just released Back Room.

2 Comments:

Blogger soapboxhero said...

I should've gone to the show! I almost did. Did they do "My CoCo"?

3:30 PM  
Blogger JONATHAN said...

Yeah - my friend Greg wanted to stick around for that song and that song alone and they played it in the encore.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters