Tuesday, June 27, 2006

SUPERMAN: Brainiac Attacks


We don't usually (read:HAVE NOT YET) covered comic books or much art here at the Test Pilot...BUT WE LOVE IT, and we wish we could post more. Also, in a effort to hopefully get more posts and vary the topics, Co-Pilot Greg Fisher and Bombadier/Navigator Mark Kaesgen will put forth what they can.

Here, with his phoned in review of the animated Superman: Brainiac Attacks, that recently aired on the Cartoon Network, is Co-Pilot Greg:
"When I started watching Superman: Braniac Attacks, I went in with sort of an open mind. I had heard bad things about it, so I went in with no expectations. I am not a huge, die-hard DCAU fan, although I have watched and enjoyed many of the shows. It bothered me that it didn't take place in any continuity, but whatever. I began watching it and it started off OK. Nothing much happening. Lex Luthor is portrayed as a moron as opposed to the cunning, malicious Lex DCAU fans are used to seeing. About ten or fifteen minutes in, the action/crapulence starts. Braniac attacks some Lex Luthor technology building in the middle of nowhere that is responsible for the creation of a satellite that will fire lasers to defend the Earth from meteors and such. Superman begins the battle with Braniac to stop him from taking over the laser satellite weapon thing. There a lot of missiles and stuff being fired at Superman and the laser satellite shoots him upwards of 1204 times. This fight goes on for about forty or fifty minutes. Well, I'm sure it was only 15, but it seemed like days. I began drifting in and out of sleep at this point. Then I became really frustrated at Lex's crappy dialogue and went to go see if anyone messaged me on myspace."

Personally, I watched the whole thing. I found it to be watchable but nothing I would sit through again. As someone who prefers the meat and potatoes of all the comic universes (Marvel: X-Men, Spiderman, etc. and DC: Superman, Batman, etc.), I don't care for all the numerous villains that showed up in one issue 20 years ago and prefer a simple Superman story. The story was decent (Lex tries to team with Brainiac to bring down Superman) and the animation was iffy. Overall, I didn't care for the 40 year old, aw-shucks Clark Kent and it seemed like it could have been a standard JLA episode.

If you are a DCAU (DC Animated Universe) fan and want to see it, go here or keep your TiVo's set to the Cartoon Network if you want to see it yourself.

Be Greg's friend at myspace.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hero Supreme said...

a surgeon must have made this show as they effectively and thouroughly removed all of the original shows heart.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters