Monday, August 28, 2006

MEW


I had heard of Mew in passing but never gave them much thought til I found they were opening up for the Bloc Party concert I was going to in Brooklyn last month. I downloaded a few tracks and got a weird, pixie-like (not the band) sound mixed with some bizarro Starship and Air Supply twist. It was mostly the spacey, high-pitched, vibrating vocals that led me to this absurd conclusion and I more or less called it a day.

When I got back from the BP concert, I gave them another shot and was happy to find their unique sound wasn't as off the charts as I first thought and was really approachable. It really is much more progressive rock with some shoe gazer that everyone loves, tossed in.

LINKS REMOVED UPON REQUEST OF RECORD LABEL
Why Are You Looking So Grave
the Chinaberry Tree

I believe their new CD coming out, And The Glass Handed Kites is a combo from other albums that didn't see a US appearance but I could definitely be wrong. Anyways, buy it here.

Hear more Mew at their MySpace page

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hit Counter
Web Counters